250W Front Drive eKit
Equip your own bike with power assistance!
Wouldn’t it be great to keep cycling your ordinary bike yet never have to struggle with hills again? Or carry on your normal commute without having to arrive at work covered in sweat?
Now, you can! This electric bike kit (eKit) allows you to transform your bike into an e-bike for a fraction of the cost. Cycling will suddenly have a whole new dimension to it!
With a Lithium-Ion battery included, this is most probably the best value for money conversion kit you can find on the market.
The kit is a front motor-wheel design, making it incredibly simple to install. It usually takes less than an hour to complete the installation. But if you are not the DIY type, you can always seek assistance from a bike service shop. A full installation guide can be found on our support section.
- Motor: 250W brushless front hub, comes integrated in a wheel size of your choice (reaches maximum speed allowed by UK/EU regulation, i.e. 15.5mph)
- Wheel sizes avilable: 20inch, 24inch, 26inch,27.5, 700c, 28inch or 29er
- Wheel material: Double walled alloy rim with reinforced spokes to withstand extra pressure.
- Throttle: thumb type – gradual lever, the further it is pressed, the more power is provided.
- Brake compatibility: Compatible with both disc brakes and V-brakes
- Controller: 14A max current.
- Cables: Motor cable and system cable (designed for simplicity and minimal wiring)
- Box: for mounting the controller (only when a battery is purchased with the system)
- Fork compatibility: Minimum 100mm between fork drop-outs (which is the vast majority of forks).
Apart from a battery, the above is all that is needed to fully convert a bicycle into an electric bike. All our kit packages include these essential items. All you need to add is a battery (and the optional PAS upgrade if required).
While this kit is powered through the use of a throttle, you can also add a Pedal Assistance System to upgrade your kit with further functions.
Pedal Assist System Upgrades
A Pedal Assistance System is a device that senses your pedalling and makes your kit give automatic assistance, i.e. you do not have to press the throttle throughout your journey.
We have two PAS packages on offer:
- Pedal Assistance System with LED Display
This is our basic PAS upgrade which includes a handlebar dashboard allowing you to shift between three power levels; low, medium or high.
Compatible with the 250W and the 500W systems only.
- Pedal Assistance System with LCD Computer (Advanced)
This is our top of the range electric bike kit upgrade for you who want to combine your conversion kit with state of the art technology, yet at a surprisingly good value. This package combines a Pedal Assistance System with an advanced LCD handlebar monitor which, not only gives you five levels of power, but also displays your speed, journey distance, time, average speed and many other readings.
Compatible with the 250W, 500W and 1000W systems.
Although these are optional upgrades, you are highly recommended to install a Pedal Assistance System as it will transform your riding experience and improve the longevity of the battery.
Things to think about before purchasing this front drive conversion kit:
- If you wish to include a Pedal Assistance System with your eKit, the bottom bracket on your bike needs to be a Square Taper type (which is the most common bottom bracket on ordinary bikes). If you don’t have a square taper bottom bracket, you may need to replace it as well as the crank arms to make your bike compatible with the PAS. If in doubt, please consult a bike service shop on how to fit a square taper bottom bracket on your bike.
Alternatively, you may opt for purchasing the LED/LCD Display without the PAS if you prefer not to fiddle with your bottom bracket.
- The front forks on your bike need to have 100mm clearance between the drop-outs (which is the case with the vast majority of bikes).
- The fork drop-outs themselves need to be the standard 10mm size (this is also the most common size for fork drop-outs). If you happen to have the slightly smaller 9mm drop-out, you could file them down by 0.5mm on either side for the motor to fit. Please seek professional assistance for this part as doing it wrongly will be entirely at your own risk.
- The front motor is compatible with the majority of disc brakes. However, certain disc brake calipers are wider than usual which means they may block the hub motor from fitting inside the forks. Please refer to the following motor dimensions (mm).
If the dimensions don’t fit, you can replace your disc rotor with a 180mm version to clear the space from the motor, your local bike shop can help with this and provide the relevant adapter to change to a larger disc rotor.
- It's also a good idea to ensure you have enough room inside your frame triangle for your choice of battery:
Bottle Battery (mm)
Frame Battery (mm)
30 days 100% money back guarantee
We offer a 30 day return policy provided the products are returned in clean, perfect condition with all tags intact and in their original packaging. Shipping costs for any returns are not covered (although we can arrange for our courier to collect the item for a fee). Damaged goods will incur salvage costs subject to the discretion of Cyclotricity. All exchanges will incur a return shipping fee.
Free delivery applies to all items £100 and above within mainland UK.
Delivery is usually between one and five working days on all stock items. we will notify you if the delivery is going to take longer. Free delivery is for mainland UK only, please contact us for additional postage charges if purchasing in Northern Ireland, Highlands, non mainland areas, British Isles, Republic of Ireland and Europe.
Assistance can be offered if you do not feel confident with assembly of any of our products. Most Bikes arrive 95% ready to ride (within mainland UK) with just the need to straighten the handlebars and fit the pedals. To do this only a minimal amount of tools are required, these will generally be a 15mm spanner and a set of allen keys.
Once you receive your delivery, please go to our support section, download all relevant materials and follow the setup instructions. We accept no liability for incorrect fitting.
Here is a video of what to expect when you recive you bike:
0% interest for 4 months on all baskets of £99+ when you check out with PayPal and choose PayPal Credit.
The most cost effective strategy in a kit purchase is working out in advance what you’ll generally use it for. That way, you can pick a configuration suitable for your needs without adding unnecessary costs. Front and rear drive kits both have their own unique characteristics. We have divided our kits into four categories that generally cover the needs of most people. To help you narrow down what’s right for you, here is a summary of the main differences:
250W Front Drive
The front drive kit is a geared hub motor which means it is a lot smaller and lighter than its rear drive counterparts, in fact, it is barely noticeable as a motor once installed. In other words, if a lightweight and well disguised kit is of importance, this is a good option to consider. Combined with pedalling, it gives an all-wheel-drive experience offering better stability and weight distribution with the battery. It is also a lot simpler to install than a rear drive as there is no need to readjust any gears.
Even though 250W is less power than the other categories, remember that 250W is the maximum power legally allowed on-road, so it is a perfectly adequate hill climber with equivalent power to the majority of purpose-built electric bikes on the market.
The front drive kit is also the most cost effective, in other words, if you intend to use the kit on-road most of the time and spend as little as possible, this would be the pragmatic choice.
500W Rear Drive
We’ve introduced this category as it uses the same 36V batteries as the front drive motors. Which makes this kit strike the perfect balance between cost and power. Prices are not much higher than the 250W front drive but with the benefit that once you add the LCD computer, you can de-restrict it (for off road only) and get a glimpse of some of the power that you can experience with the high power off-road kits. In other words, it is the best of both worlds at great value. The only downside is it’s heavier than the 250W front drive kit.
This kit is recommended for you who are on a budget, does most of cycling on-road, but want the occasional off-road fun added and don’t mind a slightly heavier bike. Please note that the kit will be supplied restricted to 250W by default and will require the LCD add-on to de-restrict it to the full 500W for off-road use.
1000W Rear Drive
This category is our favorite! Once you try it, you can never go back to anything else! It has been developed purely for the thrill seekers among us. Since it’s a 48V system, the battery makes it more costly than its counterparts. Having said that, it offers an adrenaline-fuelled ride rarely found in conversion kits. It is packed with torque, power and will propel you to speeds up to 50km/h and climb incredibly steep hills. This kit is recommended for the outdoorsy spirit, the mountain biker and you who appreciate the exhilaration that comes with speed and power. Please note that the kit will be supplied restricted to 250W by default and will require the LCD add-on to de-restrict it to the full 1000W for off-road use.
500W Middle Drive
This category is the all-rounder. It is as light as the 250W Front Drive, but with the power of a 500W motor! In fact, it has torque much higher than the regular 500W Rear Drive kit, which makes it a much better hill climber. It is positioned in the middle of the bike for the best weight distribution there is. It uses a 36V volt battery which makes it a fairly cost-effective purchase. The PAS and LCD screen are included by default making for an extra cost saving.
It is also suitable for non-standard bikes that has unusual forks where hub motors don’t fit.